Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Fri Mar 31 12:04:55 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:50:44AM -0700, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:44 -0700, Tierra wrote:
> > On 3/30/06, Scott Paul Robertson <spr at mahonri5.net> wrote:
> > > I've been using linode.com. They offer your own virtual server, root
> > > access, choice of linux distribution, and a pretty fat pipe. I've been
> > > very pleased with them. Of course you don't get a SSL cert provided by
> > > godaddy, but you can always be your own CA :)
> >
> > If you're looking at a VPS, linode.com is the best option if you're
> > looking for more freedom of services than bandwidth IMHO.
>
> Linode was one of the first, but they aren't the best in my opinion.
> Linode is still currently using user-mode-linux for the vms and that
> takes a real performance hit.  Also disk I/O on my linode machine is
> horrible.

I was having disk I/O issues until recently. I discovered that I had
been throttled on my I/O because I wasn't be very good about it. After
tweaking some services to be nicer to disk (mysql, apache, etc), I let
caker (the owner) know on #linode that I had a low allotment, he fixed
it, and life has been happy since.

> I'm migrating to a xen-based account at unixshell.com

I'm tempted to migrate to xen on linode, but I don't have the time to
watch for bugs.

On the note of Linode's rebooting, my host has only rebooted twice or
maybe three times outside of a maintaince issue (kernel fixes on the
host) in the past 2.5 years.

I've been very pleased with linode.

--
Scott Paul Robertson