Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Mar 31 11:27:05 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 11:02 -0700, Tierra wrote:
> Linode is coincidentally also a two man show (was a one man show for a
> long time until more recently). Anyway, I've heard some pretty bad
> experiences with Unixshell overall even before I knew of Linode. They
> may have improved since, but they're rep score was hurting pretty bad
> for a while a year ago.

In that time my unixshell has been rebooted a couple of times, but then
so has my linode.  In fact a month ago my linode was spontaneously
rebooted.  Not sure if it was caused by the host hardware or some kernel
exception inside my uml.  So with any of these technologies I have yet
to see a perfect implementation.  Xen holds the most promise for 99.9999
uptime though, in theory.

I've never had any problems with linode's technical support and the head
guy has always been responsive on irc.

> I don't want to turn this into a huge debate or anything (this mailing
> list seems to be extremely prone to flame wars in particular), my
> opinion has been heard.

Definitely anyone wanting to run a business on any VPS should research
into people's experiences, support levels, etc.

Do note that these VPS are specifically sold as unsupported, unmanaged
accounts.  If you are thinking about running a business, you probably
should look at the more managed options, like tectonic's virtuoso-based
VPSs.  They offer a much higher level of support and incident
management.

Michael