Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Tierra etierra at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:02:18 MST 2006

On 3/31/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:44 -0700, Tierra wrote:
> > If you're looking at a VPS, linode.com is the best option if you're
> > looking for more freedom of services than bandwidth IMHO.
>
> Linode was one of the first, but they aren't the best in my opinion.
> Linode is still currently using user-mode-linux for the vms and that
> takes a real performance hit.  Also disk I/O on my linode machine is
> horrible.
>
> I'm migrating to a xen-based account at unixshell.com

You do know that Linode just barely pulled out of the private Xen
beta, and is right in the middle of the public beta right?  As far as
I've heard, it'll probably be about another month when everyone will
have the choice to migrate to a Xen host (if your Linode is in the
Fremont DC, you could migrate and jump in on the public beta right now
actually).

I think Unixshell jumped onto the Xen bandwagon way too early.  I was
hearing that the average uptime for Unixshell hosts were something
like 2 months maybe if that.  Linode has been holding off for so long
because Xen never got stable PAE support in until recently (allowing
for 32-bit hosts with more than 4GB ram).  There's also been all sorts
of issues with Xen before the stable 3.0 release.  I can only imagine
Unixshell started using Xen as early as possible just because it was
getting a lot of press.  That's all only boosted my confidence that
Linode knows how to keep stable hosting up with the least amount of
downtime.

> > Also, what other hosting companies do you know that can pull off
> > company forums, a wiki, and an IRC channel? That's some real
> > confidence in customer support.
>
> Unixshell has similar things and I've always had good luck with their
> customer support (well it's really just two guys; it is a small company
> so be aware of that).

Linode is coincidentally also a two man show (was a one man show for a
long time until more recently). Anyway, I've heard some pretty bad
experiences with Unixshell overall even before I knew of Linode. They
may have improved since, but they're rep score was hurting pretty bad
for a while a year ago.

I don't want to turn this into a huge debate or anything (this mailing
list seems to be extremely prone to flame wars in particular), my
opinion has been heard.

Regards,
Bryan Petty