Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Mar 31 09:50:44 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:44 -0700, Tierra wrote:
> On 3/30/06, Scott Paul Robertson <spr at mahonri5.net> wrote:
> > I've been using linode.com. They offer your own virtual server, root
> > access, choice of linux distribution, and a pretty fat pipe. I've been
> > very pleased with them. Of course you don't get a SSL cert provided by
> > godaddy, but you can always be your own CA :)
>
> If you're looking at a VPS, linode.com is the best option if you're
> looking for more freedom of services than bandwidth IMHO.

Linode was one of the first, but they aren't the best in my opinion.
Linode is still currently using user-mode-linux for the vms and that
takes a real performance hit.  Also disk I/O on my linode machine is
horrible.

I'm migrating to a xen-based account at unixshell.com

> On 3/30/06, Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ... but critical response time (i.e. Help I
> > unmerged SSH by accident and can't login anymore (yes I did that by
> > accident once)) type stuff is about 30 minutes.
>
> Linode has some nice features when it comes to stuff like this. If
> this ever happens, Linode provides "LISH" (Linode Shell
> <http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/LISH>) which acts basically like
> a console hooked up to your machine so even if networking has gone
> completely fubar, you can still get in without putting in a support
> ticket and fix it yourself.

Any xen-based VPS will also support a console that you can get in with
single user mode and fix things, even network.

> Also, what other hosting companies do you know that can pull off
> company forums, a wiki, and an IRC channel? That's some real
> confidence in customer support.

Unixshell has similar things and I've always had good luck with their
customer support (well it's really just two guys; it is a small company
so be aware of that).

Michael