Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Tierra etierra at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 08:44:29 MST 2006

On 3/30/06, Scott Paul Robertson <spr at mahonri5.net> wrote:
> I've been using linode.com. They offer your own virtual server, root
> access, choice of linux distribution, and a pretty fat pipe. I've been
> very pleased with them. Of course you don't get a SSL cert provided by
> godaddy, but you can always be your own CA :)

If you're looking at a VPS, linode.com is the best option if you're
looking for more freedom of services than bandwidth IMHO.

> ... but critical response time (i.e. Help I
> unmerged SSH by accident and can't login anymore (yes I did that by
> accident once)) type stuff is about 30 minutes.

Linode has some nice features when it comes to stuff like this. If
this ever happens, Linode provides "LISH" (Linode Shell
<http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/LISH>) which acts basically like
a console hooked up to your machine so even if networking has gone
completely fubar, you can still get in without putting in a support
ticket and fix it yourself.

Also, what other hosting companies do you know that can pull off
company forums, a wiki, and an IRC channel? That's some real
confidence in customer support.

Regards,
Bryan Petty