Ultimate PVR?

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 31 07:20:35 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:20:55PM -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Wow, there seems to be a lot of comments about people having
> troubles getting a custom PVR working.

Yup; it's a project. Before I even started on building our MythTV box,
I told my wife not to expect it to be usable until around summer. I
had TV shows recording about two days after I bought most of the
hardware, but it has taken a few more weeks to install and configure
all the software and additional bits of hardware necessary to make it
both convenient to use and stable. For instance, I went through three
different mainboards until I finally settled on something I could
count on to handle all my PCI cards, and, believe it or not, I spent a
good deal of time swapping out IDE cables until I finally stopped
getting DMA errors.

Mike
"Everybody knows the moon is made of cheese."
 - Wallace