Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Thu Mar 30 13:58:32 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:48:44PM -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I'm looking to host a Java web application somewhere.  I've always
> hosted my own stuff in the past, but I want a bigger pipe (and a real
> data center with power backup, etc, etc).
>
> Go Daddy has "Virtual Dedicated Servers" for as little as $28 a month
> (including an SSL cert).  Are there other inexpensive options for a
> VDS?  I'd like ssh access and the ability to install my own software.
> I'm not wanting an expensive co-location solution.  I don't want to
> drop $100+/mo on a dedicated server.
>
> Any suggestions?  Should I just go with Go Daddy (I don't really want
> to support them.  I'd rather use someone else).

I've been using linode.com. They offer your own virtual server, root
access, choice of linux distribution, and a pretty fat pipe. I've been
very pleased with them. Of course you don't get a SSL cert provided by
godaddy, but you can always be your own CA :)

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net