Web Hosting on a "Virtual Dedicated Server"

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Thu Mar 30 13:56:03 MST 2006

On 03/30/2006 01:48 PM, Bryan Sant wrote:
> I'm looking to host a Java web application somewhere.  I've always
> hosted my own stuff in the past, but I want a bigger pipe (and a real
> data center with power backup, etc, etc).
>
> Go Daddy has "Virtual Dedicated Servers" for as little as $28 a month
> (including an SSL cert).  Are there other inexpensive options for a
> VDS?  I'd like ssh access and the ability to install my own software.
> I'm not wanting an expensive co-location solution.  I don't want to
> drop $100+/mo on a dedicated server.

I've hosted (and am hosting) on tektonic.net (whose VPS stuff now seems
to be done through unixshell.com).  They've been pretty good overall and
offer a decent selection of distros.  Pricing's not bad either (see
https://www.unixshell.com/plans.html), though you don't get an SSL cert
like GoDaddy.

Distros they offer (copied from their site):
# CentOS (RedHat Enterprise rebuild)
# Debian (woody/testing/unstable branches)
# Gentoo
# Fedora Core
# Mandrake
# Mandriva