Ultimate PVR?

Scott Paul Robertson spr at mahonri5.net
Wed Mar 29 22:53:50 MST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:38:50PM -0700, Jesse Stay wrote:
> I know I'll get slammed here, but I found this is one area Microsoft
> actually does well in.  With a Media Center edition server in one room
> in the house you can get Media Center extenders that you can put
> throughout the house at each TV, watch live TV through your server's
> TV connection, record shows, pause, rewind, fast-forward, access
> music, pictures, etc., all from remote rooms that connect to your
> central server.  If you have an Xbox 360, there is software that
> converts it into a Media Center extender as well.
>
> I hear there's a Haupage device that works similar to the Media Center
> extenders that you can install a MythTV-based firmware on and connect
> remotely with a MythTV server.    This may be a slightly cheaper
> option, and probably a bit more customizable.

I'm not sure why you'd want a hardware device to do this (nor have I
ever heard of such a thing). MythTV is designed to work happily across
the wire. It's pretty normal for one of our roommates to be watching a
show in the living room, me watching another in my room, and a third
going on in my other roommates room. All this is done with one server
doing all the recording (PVR 500). MythTV allows remote connections by
default. I guess I find it a little excessive to pay for the extender
and the media center pc when I can spend a whole lot less for the same,
and more.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net