What's the deal with Swing?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:03:53 MST 2006

On 3/29/06, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
> You can "dabble with Qt" wihtout paying or using the GPL, as long as you
> don't release your code to anyone.  The GPL only comes into play when
> you distribute your code.

There is a 30 day trial, but I remember reading in their FAQ that you
can't use Qt for a GPL project and then change your mind and use it
for a commercial app (or say an LGPL or BSD app).  How would they know
if you did switch though? Like they would refuse the purchase of the
license because you started out GPL even if they knew.  But anyway.
My understanding is that they require you to start and end in GPL.  If
you buy a license, you can release as whatever you want.

IBM, Adobe, Sun, and many others stay away from Qt/KDE and champion
GTK+/Gnome for this GPL-only reason.  I'm not anti-GPL, but it does
suck that I can't choose.  With GTK+ or Swing, I can distribute
however I want for free.  I see this as a con for Qt (but Qt is so
dang sexy, I'd still consider buying it anyway).

-Bryan