What's the deal with Swing?

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Tue Mar 28 18:07:03 MST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:56:52 -0700, "Ryan Bowman"
<ryanlbowman at gmail.com> said:
> I used Java Swing in a UI class at BYU and didn't see anything wrong
> it, but then again,  that's the only UI experience I have.
> I've noticed over the last few threads about java that at least one
> person has mentioned Swing in a negative way.
>  I am curious - since we use it at work for our client-side app (I
> work on the web-side of our app (unfortunately, using Struts) I don't
> get to/have to use Swing - what's so bad about Swing?  People who like
> Swing are also invited to participate.

I've never seen any problems with swing that weren't caused by someone
leaving code in the event thread that should have been spun off
separately.

Of course then there's the aesthetics of it, but I've been running GIMP
on win32 for years, so obviously I don't have any problems with
non-native toolkits either.

-J