Java and Mono (was Re: Managing multiple computers at home)

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Mon Mar 27 14:40:06 MST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:33:47 -0700, "Michael L Torrie"
<torriem at chem.byu.edu> said:
> Looking around I just don't see a lot of commercial apps being shipped
> in Java or .NET (VB.NET or C#).  I didn't read anything in any of the
> articles referenced that backed up this claim.  So far as I know, MS
> Office, Photoshop, Acrobat, Flash, etc are all C++.  I know of no major
> commercial package (major defined as widely available and widely used by
> consumers, not niche products) that is using WinForms or Java (except
> for VS 2005 which apparently is sucking pretty bad).

If you were the manager of a project involving many millions of lines of
code, like the ones you list above, and you decided to start from
scratch in a new environment because that was "teh new hotness," you
should be shot.

Rewrites are expensive, even if the new target is a better one.

The real reason you don't see any major desktop apps in C# or Java is
that there aren't any major new desktop apps AT ALL.  All the action is
in the web space these days.

-Jonathan