Managing multiple computers at home

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:20:57 MST 2006

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 09:48:18PM -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On 3/26/06, ross at indessed.com <ross at indessed.com> wrote:
> >
> > With regards to Mono, it's a new technology, it's not proven to be a
> > stable Linux platform, and frankly it just makes me ask--why not Java?
> > Installing a Mono app requires me to download, install, and run an
> > entirely different VM alongside my already existing Java apps.

I try not to have any Java apps running, so that's not much of a problem
for me.

> The Yet-another-VM thing bugs me too, but Mono isn't really all that
> new and it's being used in production quite a lot.  Novell's Zenworks
> Linux Management product uses it, and that's an "enterprise" product.
> I guess Java has been around a lot longer, but I'd be really surprised
> if you ran across a runtime bug while using Mono.  That's not to say

I worked on ZENworks. We bumped into Mono bugs all the time.

> that it's perfect, just that I doubt it's less stable than anything
> else and that you're more likely to find a bug in a application

It was less stable than the Java stuff we ran when I was on ZENworks. But
it also used 600 MiB less of memory than the average Java app.

-Roberto

--
Backup is for whimps!