Managing multiple computers at home

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 21:48:18 MST 2006

On 3/26/06, ross at indessed.com <ross at indessed.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Michael Torrie wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 17:54 -0800, ross at indessed.com wrote:
> >> (Oh, and the Mono/GTK# thing kind of turns me off too.)
> >
> > May I ask why?
>
> Probably the biggest is that it's a GUI app, as opposed to Unison's
> command-line interface. That's just a matter of taste.

That's funny because you're point a) about what Unison lacks sounded a
lot like UI.  I have to agree though that if iFolder can't just run in
the background without a GUI for a head then it's not worth much in
your situation.

> With regards to Mono, it's a new technology, it's not proven to be a
> stable Linux platform, and frankly it just makes me ask--why not Java?
> Installing a Mono app requires me to download, install, and run an
> entirely different VM alongside my already existing Java apps.

The Yet-another-VM thing bugs me too, but Mono isn't really all that
new and it's being used in production quite a lot.  Novell's Zenworks
Linux Management product uses it, and that's an "enterprise" product.
I guess Java has been around a lot longer, but I'd be really surprised
if you ran across a runtime bug while using Mono.  That's not to say
that it's perfect, just that I doubt it's less stable than anything
else and that you're more likely to find a bug in a application
written to it than in the VM.

Besides.  C# has everything you always loved about Java and none of
the stuff you always hated.  (I know, that's an exageration).

I'm kind of hoping Java will die off in the Desktop world.  I'm fine
with it being used in the multi-tier enterprise application world, it
does great there.

> Furthermore there's the legal issues with Microsoft--even if they're FUD
> they're still there, and I am somewhat doubtful of a large crowd getting
> behind Mono in the near future.

Not at all likely that there will be legal problems:
http://gregdek.livejournal.com/4008.html

> I'm not anti-Mono by any stretch of the imagination, but it does make me
> feel a little "turned off" as I said. (/me hopes not to start another
> language flamewar ...)

Gosh, me too.  I probably shouldn't even send this... oh well "too late."