Managing multiple computers at home

ross at indessed.com ross at indessed.com
Sun Mar 26 21:04:38 MST 2006

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 17:54 -0800, ross at indessed.com wrote:
>> (Oh, and the Mono/GTK# thing kind of turns me off too.)
>
> May I ask why?

Probably the biggest is that it's a GUI app, as opposed to Unison's
command-line interface. That's just a matter of taste.

With regards to Mono, it's a new technology, it's not proven to be a
stable Linux platform, and frankly it just makes me ask--why not Java?
Installing a Mono app requires me to download, install, and run an
entirely different VM alongside my already existing Java apps.

Furthermore there's the legal issues with Microsoft--even if they're FUD
they're still there, and I am somewhat doubtful of a large crowd getting
behind Mono in the near future.

I'm not anti-Mono by any stretch of the imagination, but it does make me
feel a little "turned off" as I said. (/me hopes not to start another
language flamewar ...)

 	~ Ross