Managing multiple computers at home

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 18:09:08 MST 2006

> This looks perfect! It runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X ... it can
> synchronize in both directions (giving a warning if both files are
> changed) ... it's not bothered by clock skew between the different hosts,
> because "it only performs comparisons between timestamps obtained from the
> same host, and the only assumption it makes about them is that the clock
> on each system always runs forward."
>
> I'll probably have to write some sort of wrapper around it to do my whole
> "subscribe" idea, but other than that it's exactly what I'm looking for.
> I'll let you know in a week how it works out. :)

Below is my Unison config file that I've been using for some time now
(some data changed, of course).  I'm not sure, but I think what I use
in my config file is basically what you want for your "subscription"
idea.  The only weakness is that it's not automatic, but I'm not
entirely convinced that's a weakness.  It's worked out very well and
I'm still quite happy with it but I'd rather be using iFolder.

iFolder is automatic.  In fact, the only reason I'm not using iFolder
is that it wasn't open source back when I first decided I needed
something like that.  And even when it was open source it used a
proprietary data-store (flaim).  Flaim is open source now too, though,
so the only barrier is that I haven't got it building on Ubuntu yet.

Even so I keep dreaming of a synchronization system that just uses a
generic WebDAV server as it's server.  That way, if I wanted to I
could use mod_dav_svn and have the whole system versioned as well.

- Andrew

# Unison preferences file
root = file:////home/user
root = ssh://user@host.domain.tld