Strange crash in glibc

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 12:38:09 MST 2006

Hello all,
I've been working on a game engine for sometime now and I'm coming to
something odd.
I have a dedicated server component running on a remote linux machine,
and it runs like a charm, near as I can tell nothing is wrong with it
at all.
However every single time I quit the application it crashes with the
following message...
glibc detected *** double free or corruption (fasttop)
Then there is an address after that, and it's always a little different.

This has only started happening since adding a switch to the build
options -lefence
Which I know is meant to detect memory corruption.

The question I have then, would be how can I find out what is causing
it, and also since it's only happening on exit what if anything can be
done about it?

I'm just looking for troubleshooting ideas, like where I might want to
start looking the code base is over 50 MBs of C++ and I'm only now
just familiarizing myself.
Sadly since it is a closed source app I can't use the many eyes
approach, but I'm hoping there is a clue somewhere that can let me
know where the memory is getting corrupted.

Any tips, tricks, ideas, thoughts etc would be greatly appreciated.