Ethernet diagnostics software

Lance Grover lance.grover at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 23:20:09 MST 2006

On 3/24/06, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:

> This email is coming to you over 430 feet of cat5e cable, which is good
> news, because it means that my "long-haul" ethernet link is working, at
> least it appears to be. Does anyone know of any good software to test
> and diagnose an ethernet network so I can be confident that I'm not
> getting any dropped packets?

If you want to get to the deep physical stuff I don't know what will work, I
use special devices like Fluke, but if you just want to see if packets are
getting dropped then try out mtr, I used it to diagnose my Comcast issues.
Basically it gives you statistics in a trace route fashion in real time with
percentages etc.

--
Thanks,

Lance Grover