This is just priceless

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:39:28 MST 2006

I think you guys are missing the editorial above the block of code.  I
almost did myself.  It says that the guy who developed this code did
this sort of thing *all the time* - he'd write a terrible kludge and
put an apology in comments above it, say he intended to go back and
fix it later, and then never actually do so.

Also, come on - it scans the entire file regardless of whether it
finds what it wants on the first line or the last.  It's scanning a
*log file* for information that should have accessible in memory
somewhere - he was just too lazy to find out where the information is
hiding.  This code works entirely on accident.  If you turned off
logging, everything will crash for no apparent reason.  That's how
this code was actually discovered.  If you change the logging code to
not include the information he's looking for, same thing.  I can't
believe you guys are defending this kind of crap.  How far gone do you
have to be to look at something this bad and go "Oh, well, that
doesn't bug me too much."

I'm NOT directing this specifically at you, Halcrow, I just happened
to choose your post to respond to.

Dan