This is just priceless

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Fri Mar 24 14:20:10 MST 2006

Michael Halcrow wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:31:23AM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Daniel C. wrote:
>>>http://www.thedailywtf.com/forums/65091/ShowPost.aspx
>>
>>Hmm... this one doesn't bother me much.
>
> [...]
>
> In any case, the comment makes it clear that he intended to go back
> and fix it. For one reason or another, that never happened. *That* is
> the real sin. If I ever committed that code to a production branch (I
> wouldn't), I certainly wouldn't have just forgotten about it...

Yes, the blame seems to fall mostly on the programmer in this case.
However, I imagine the cost of fixing this bug is quite small compared
with nastier bugs like race conditions or memory allocation errors,
which often grind away a company's reputation and can only be solved by
spending days or weeks of expensive engineers' time.

Shane