This is just priceless

Michael Halcrow mike at halcrow.us
Fri Mar 24 13:39:10 MST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:31:23AM -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Daniel C. wrote:
> >Some of you may be familiar with the daily wtf.  This one (linked to
> >via reddit) is just too good not to pass on:
> >
> >http://www.thedailywtf.com/forums/65091/ShowPost.aspx
>
> Hmm... this one doesn't bother me much.

The comment makes it obvious that the guy was in a crunch, and the
code just *had* to work *right then* (probably for a build/test round
that night), so he did the only thing he could do at the moment to get
it to work for the moment. From a software engineering perspective, he
should not have enabled the feature in the product until the code was
clean -- that was his first mistake. Maybe he had some sort of a
``feature deadline,'' and all his management cared about, from an
employee performance review perspective, was that the feature was
there and it worked by EOD. Then the programmer acted in his own best
interest. He would likely be working at another company by the time
that Easter Egg was found.

In any case, the comment makes it clear that he intended to go back
and fix it. For one reason or another, that never happened. *That* is
the real sin. If I ever committed that code to a production branch (I
wouldn't), I certainly wouldn't have just forgotten about it...

Mike
"A dream will always triumph over reality, once it is given the
chance."
 - Stanislaw Lem