PHP Developer Seeking Employment

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Thu Mar 23 21:24:50 MST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:58:43 -0700, "Sasha Pachev" <sasha at asksasha.com>
said:
> For Michael Torrie and others who argue productivity vs performance. I
> want to
> see a high-performant C solution not because I expect the potential
> candidate to
> write everything in C. I want to test the following:

Could a good PHP developer learn enough C to pass your test?  Certainly.
 But he's probably not going to waste his time on it when there are
plenty of employers looking for something a bit more... relevant.

I would have called myself a C programmer once.  That was 10 years ago.
The world is moving on; C is increasingly a niche language.

I strongly suspect that the only real reason to have a C-based test for
a PHP development position is that the interviewer knows how to
distinguish between adequate and excellent skills in C, but does not
know how to do so in more modern languages.

-Jonathan