PHP Developer Seeking Employment

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Thu Mar 23 20:58:43 MST 2006

 >I'm in the market for a new job. I'm looking for full time work, but I'll
 >take contract work if it's available. I'm looking for something in the
 >$50k range. If you want a resume, email me off list and I'll get you a
 >copy.

Well, one of my clients is hiring, and has asked me to find somebody really
good. In case you missed the original post, here is the link:

http://plug.org/pipermail/plug/2006-March/019761.html

code up a solution and submit it. If it is good enough, I will recommend you to
my client. If you really want to score good points to differentiate yourself
from every other programmer that has either applied or demonstrated his skills
on PLUG, do your fast one in C/C++ using and improving on the hints from this post:

http://plug.org/pipermail/plug/2006-March/020078.html

There was a good suggestion to use mmap() for I/O that I did not think of when
writing the above.

If you have a good solution, feel free to post in on PLUG. If my client does not
hire you for some reason, and your code looks good and works well, somebody else
likely will. In the long run, code speaks louder than a resume.

The reason the really good solution has not been implemented, I believe, is that
those who can do not have the time or the mental energy, although Michael
Halcrow wrote a comment that was so long he almost could have coded a solution
in the amount of time it took him to ramble about all the possible cheating
shortcuts he could take. Mike - this is a challenge. Cheat in an honorable way
(65536 words is too few, twice that much probably ok), confess (state
assumptions), and let's see how fast it will go.

For Michael Torrie and others who argue productivity vs performance. I want to
see a high-performant C solution not because I expect the potential candidate to
write everything in C. I want to test the following:

   * Does he only know how to call library routines or can he write his own if
he had to?
   * While it is true that development time is usually more expensive than the
CPU time, there are situations when it is not the case. I have recently run into
one, for example, working with another client. Does the candidate have enough
skill/creativity to deal with it?
   * How well does he understand computer architecture on a practical level? Can
he be one with the CPU when the need arises? Does the need make him rebel, or
does he handle it in stride?
   * Low-level C is not taught in schools very much anymore, and you can get by
in many jobs not knowing it. On the other hand, many open-source projects are
written in C. Thus a proficiency in C can well serve as a cut-off between
somebody that goes with the flow, and somebody who reaches out for challenges.
Also, as a cut-off between somebody who can fix up an open source application
vs. somebody who just knows how to install and use one.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting

Running Blog