New results from "dictionary word count" programs...

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Mar 21 13:58:57 MST 2006

Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>
>>Then, install psyco (http://psyco.sourceforge.net/) and run the attached
>>script.  I measure 4.9 seconds, which could put the Python + Psyco
>>version in 1st place, at least for a while. :-)
>>
>>Shane
>

> Dude!  This is unbeleiveable.  I can't believe how fast this is!
>
> Psyco
> ------
> Avg Time:  4.50
> LOC:  23

Thanks.  I'm thinking about putting together a Python + C solution to
see if it can beat Derek's STL solution.

Certainly there must be room for speed gains in the Java solution also.
  Have you tried compiling with gcj?  Can you tweak the algorithm?  Can
you avoiding allocating memory somewhere?

Shane