New results from "dictionary word count" programs...

Gregory Hill Gregory_Hill at tni.com
Tue Mar 21 08:59:31 MST 2006

Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of an example of why
relying on external modules can be bad.  In Perl, the standard POSIX
module takes up over 1MB of memory.  When I was working at Navitaire, we
had one module that relied on POSIX, but only for 2 or 3 extremely
simple functions.  So, in order to cut down the memory footprint of our
code, we dropped POSIX and implemented those same functions internally.
So, we added probably 10 lines of code to our program, but dropped over
1MB out of a 20MB memory footprint (per apache process).

Greg