New results from "dictionary word count" programs...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Tue Mar 21 08:35:12 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 08:09 -0700, Gregory Hill wrote:
> Isn't the LOC thing kinda bogus anyway since some programs are relying
> on external modules or libraries?  I always kinda chuckle when people
> say they can write something in 5 lines of Perl, but they don't mention
> that it's because they are using 3 CPAN modules that weigh in at over
> 1MB each.  Yeah, that's probably exaggerated, but you get the idea.
>
> I'd be curious to see the LOC comparison of programs written with no
> external dependencies.

There's a direct relationship between LOC and how long it takes to write
something. This can be partially addressed by using a good IDE, if one
is available for the language. Most important modern languages are
actually platforms, to fully evaluate the language you have to evaluate
what libraries are available with the language, so using a library or
module is plenty valid.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@