Tomcat and Servlets

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Mon Mar 20 20:07:45 MST 2006

My apologies everyone. (For once) I didn't mean to start a flamewar! :)

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:46:05 -0800, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 3/20/06, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
>> in my book by simply reloading the page.  I've developed with
>> Struts/Tiles, written my own framework, experimented with Spring,
>> Hibernate and pretty much every other framework available ( Tapestry and
>> the likes).   The simple stats are that for small projects, Java takes
>> longer to develop other frameworks (With the best IDE too)
>
> Eclipse compiles as you type.  There is no wait.  If you're building
> web applications, and you're using JSP, then you don't have to
> re-compile either.  Just save your .jsp file and hit "reload" in your
> browser -- done.  It is no different than working with a dynamic lang.

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about. If you're *not* using JSPs,
you don't get this automatic recompile when you hit "reload". Why not? It
doesn't seem like there should be any reason against it for development.
Change one line in my servlet .java file, reload the page, and that's it!
It *could* be done--so why isn't it? Is there a good reason? Is it
possible for [me?] to create something that does do this? These are the
sorts of questions I'm trying to answer. :)

As soon as I get a bit more done I'll post what I have for (constructive)
criticism.

	~ Ross