New results from "dictionary word count" programs...

Sasha Pachev sasha at asksasha.com
Mon Mar 20 17:28:17 MST 2006

 > With the prowess of this group, I'm really surprised no one did it
 > hand coded assembler.

I am rather disappointed that nobody submitted an efficient C/C++ solution,
except for Jason's gperf one. I can understand why - it takes a while to code,
and I offered on prize money for winning the CPU contest. And the guys that know
how to write it already have jobs they like, I suppose, and are quite busy.

As good as the optimizers are today, if you write good C, the optimizer will
most likely beat human-coded assembler. However, I do not think that good Java
will beat good C on this.

--
Sasha Pachev
AskSasha Linux Consulting