Tomcat and Servlets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 12:46:05 MST 2006

On 3/20/06, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I've been through the eclipse, netbeans, intelli-j etc etc etc...
> IDEs are nice and all but waiting for any project to compile gets beat

And I've launched AutoCAD once in my life.  That doesn't mean I
invested any time to get familiar with the product and leverage its
features.

> in my book by simply reloading the page.  I've developed with
> Struts/Tiles, written my own framework, experimented with Spring,
> Hibernate and pretty much every other framework available ( Tapestry and
> the likes).   The simple stats are that for small projects, Java takes
> longer to develop other frameworks (With the best IDE too)

Eclipse compiles as you type.  There is no wait.  If you're building
web applications, and you're using JSP, then you don't have to
re-compile either.  Just save your .jsp file and hit "reload" in your
browser -- done.  It is no different than working with a dynamic lang.

> I'm not trying to feed flames or argue or anything.. I just develop in
> Java as well as other languages/platforms and so I speak from a fence
> sitter position I guess.  Java people-don't try to say it is always the
> best.  Other people-don't try to say Java doesn't have a place here and
> there.  I've often looked long and hard for support in other languages

I've found that most of the "non-java" people you speak of often site
inaccurate information to build a case against java.  It's not a
matter of weighing things from a pragmatic stance.  Most "non-java"
people hate java blindly and will not accept fact even when it is
presented in front of their face.

Maybe my experience with "non-java" people is unique, but I've never
felt like there is a live-and-let-live attitude towards java.  I don't
HATE perl, or python, or ruby, or C#.  I think their great.

> for things link Distributed Sessions, front end caching, etc only to
> find that the only tools available are under development or not
> production quality (python memcache/sqlalchemy/sqlobject) (Just a side
> not sqlalchemy rocks even though it is still being actively developed).

Yes, there are some situations where Java makes more sense than
others.  Due to the "Enterprise" software emphasis that java has had
for many years, it has really good solutions for huge, distributed,
systems.

-Bryan