BYU CS Department Opening

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Mar 18 22:44:38 MST 2006

Daniel C. wrote:
> However, if I were to apply to work at BYU, I would have to be
> "worthy" of a temple recommend.  Since I can't honestly say that I
> believe in the literal existence of the Godhead, I'm not able to
> qualify.  Note that, despite my agnosticism, I've maintained the
> values I was raised with.  Other than paying tithing and belief in the
> Godhead, I fully qualify for a temple recommend.

I'm surprised to read the many heated posts in this thread that are all
based on a single FAQ entry, the validity of which seems questionable to
me. Do you really think that BYU requires its non-LDS employees to
affirm LDS church leaders as divinely appointed? Or to pay tithing to a
religion to which they do not belong? I sure don't.

Show me some real documentation and then let's continue this thread with
some facts. Until then, stop speculating.

I, for one, will be inquiring with a non-LDS friend of mine this week
who teaches in the BYU Marriott School of Business. I would be surprised
to find that she pays tithing to the church.

About the attacks on Michael Halcrow: Michael and I worked on a software
project while at BYU, and I can say that he is one of the finest
engineers I have had the privilege of working with. He is an upstanding
person and a good thinker. I would gladly work with him again.

--Dave

P.S. If I didn't already have the best job in the world, I would be
applying for the BYU position.