PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Mar 18 22:30:46 MST 2006

Steve wrote:
> Ok so I've long since lost the original point of the post...  And I
> want to get it back on track.
> Assuming a coder who is equally proficient in PERL and PHP, which
> language would be the better tool for this type of task (I'm thinking
> I might take bids on this eventually, it's starting to look outside of
> my scope of expertise)
>
> sorting data coming in from the various subscription APIs.
> Determining levels of access to various portions of the site.
> Setting those access levels.
> Removing access when told to do so by the payment API or by me.
> Notifying me of each and every activity taken in a batch format say
> once per day (don't want my inbox filling up with notifications for
> all the traffics).
> Keeping track of whom has what access to what sections.
>
> Thoughts?

I think the answer has been pretty clear: a resounding "it doesn't
matter". Both Perl and PHP are equally qualified for the job. There is
nothing inherent that I can see about either language that will make
this particular project succeed or fail.

If it were up to me, I would probably use both languages: PHP for the
web portion and Perl for the daily batch jobs, but that's just my
preference.

My (limited) experience has been that the success of a project is more
dependent on the skill of the implementer than on any other single
factor. Don't think "languages and technologies". Think "people and
talent", and the results will be much better.

--Dave