BYU vs. Stupid People

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Mar 18 21:05:15 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 20:49 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 20:21 -0700, Clint Gordon Carroll wrote:
> > Michael Halcrow,
> >
> > I don't believe BYU is discriminating against religion, rather, like me they
> > are discriminating against people who are stupid! You fit nicely into this
> > category.
>
> Clint that was uncalled for.  Such a statement does not reflect well on
> BYU, the church that owns it, members of the church, and certainly not
> on you.

Torrie failed to mention that your comment is also the antithesis of the
values BYU claims to be based on.

> You do not know Michael, and you certainly have no right to call him
> stupid.  You do not know why Michael would feel the way he feels, and
> statements such as yours are not constructive in this thing.

Many of us on this list do know Halcrow, and we count him among our
friends even if we don't always agree with him. He may not agree with
all of the doctrines of the LDS church anymore, but he has always tried
to live a moral life. While he has a radically different interpretation
of BYU policy, he has none the less tried to express it respectfully.
Are you, Clint, really so insecure that you immediately interpret
disagreement as insult? Even if Halcrow were being insulting, what gives
you the right to claim to represent BYU?

Full disclosure: I know I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but at
least I know when I'm being hypocritical and only claim to represent
myself.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@