java follies [was: PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)]

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 19:35:20 MST 2006

On 3/18/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> And there does not seem to be any simple way to do anything. Well, not
> entirely true: interators are cute. But are iterators there because
> the Java designers don't trust you to write a loop correctly?

Hmmm....  A simple java loop

for(String curString : myStrings) {
  System.out.println(curString);
}

Assuming myStrings is a collection of Strings.

Seems pretty simple to me....

Java bashing is all fun and games but I ignore 99% percent of it because:

1)  people bashing it normally have no *real* experience using it.
2) the other people who have *real* experience are probably not good
programmers to begin with. I would argue that most programmers are not
very good (myself included).
3) it pays extremely well
4) it has allowed me to to put my money where my mouth is in that I
have always worked for Linux companies (Caldera/SCO, Novell, and
currently Red Hat)  ie.  I don't hype up linux all day on mailing
lists while bitching code out at a windows shop all day.  (This is not
directed at any one person)

Off to hide under a rock until Bryan pipes in with his Dice.com
salary/job numbers. :)