PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Mar 18 19:29:04 MST 2006

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Admit it, you don't actually mean "C++", you mean "the subset of C++ I'm
> familiar with and use".

Are you implying that I don't understand every cobweb covered corner of
the C++ standard library? How dare you! ;)

It has been said that C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, and that
C++ gives you that same rope and adds a slippery floor. That's why a
good C++ coder will take advantage of the language's best features and
use the rest carefully, if at all.

--Dave

P.S. C++ certainly has some warts. I really dislike the iostream API for
formatting output. printf() got that right 30 years ago. Try formatting
an integer for scientific notation with cout. Not fun.