PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Ross Werner ross at indessed.com
Sat Mar 18 16:53:41 MST 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 15:12:14 -0800, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org>
wrote:
> Another point to consider that hasn't been mentioned already is
> deployment. I personally program mainly in C++, with some Perl, PHP,
> Python, and Bash sprinkled in for diversity. For end-user applications,
> C++ is much easier to deploy than all of those languages (Bash excepted,
> maybe).

I'd be quick to qualify "deploy", here. I think that for each of C, C++,
Perl, PHP, Python, Bash, and Java, you can easily think of an environment
where that particular programming language is the easiest/most trivial to
deploy.

For example, one such environment could be a typical $8 or less a month
web hosting facility. More than likely, PHP is going to be the easiest to
deploy in such an environment. Another environment would be Palm OS--I
think C wins there. And what if you want your GUI application to run on
Windows, OS X and Linux? Is C++ and something like wxWindows going to be
any easier to deploy than natively compiled Python and wxWindows, or even
Java/Swing?

Anywho, I don't want this to devolve into a "my programming language is
better than your programming language" catfight, but I think that no one
language wins or even has a strong advantage for "easier to deploy" across
the board. Right tool for the right job and all that. :)

	~ Ross