java follies [was: PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)]

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Mar 18 14:24:32 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 14:05 -0700, Barry Roberts wrote:
> A central repository of cross-platform C libraries and perl extensions
> that just automagically download, build, and work is a nice dream.
> CPAN is a nightmare.  Downloading .jar files, OTOH really does almost
> always work.

I have to agree with you there. Linux already has good package
solutions: RPM and .deb

With JPackage I can use the same tools to manage the OS and Java
packages at the same time. With Perl, Ruby & PHP I have to add CPAN,
Gems, and PEAR. (At least Gems have pretty much won the Ruby platform,
things used to be worse.)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@