java follies [was: PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)]

Barry Roberts blr at www.robertsr.us
Sat Mar 18 14:05:18 MST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 12:01:18PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:

> Not only that, but they have to re-invent every wheel in the universe,
> because the wheels have to run on the JVM. Why?

Well, I have to say that even though I'm starting to warm up to Perl
(I used to break out in a rash every time I had to modify someone's
perl code), I would MUCH rather have full cross-platform compatibility
by re-implementing things in Java than deal with the abomination that
is CPAN.

I am very dependent on some excellent perl web apps (cvsmonitor,
webgui, rt) that have a lot of dependencies, and I have resigned
myself to the fact that every time I need to do a clean install on a
new machine I'm going to spend a half day waiting for errors so I can
then 'force install', manually editing config files to get things to
work when everything supposedly went ok with the 'install', and
basically pulling out hair.  That's why

A central repository of cross-platform C libraries and perl extensions
that just automagically download, build, and work is a nice dream.
CPAN is a nightmare.  Downloading .jar files, OTOH really does almost
always work.

Barry