PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Ross Werner ross at
Sat Mar 18 12:36:30 MST 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:12:23 -0800, garth h <thaabit at> wrote:
>> And perl and PHP *really* aren't /that/ different. (Oops, I hope I
>> didn't just fan the flames.)
> Is that a joke?  Have you used both languages?

Not a joke, and yes I have. Especially with PHP 5, most Perl programs I've
seen are far closer to being translated straight across to a PHP program
(and vice-versa) than they are to, say, Java, C, or even Ruby. I'm not
saying they're exactly identical, heaven forbid, or that the userbase of
both is even remotely similar, but as far as languages go they are quite

Which languages do you think are more similar to PHP than Perl is? and
which languages do you think are more similar to Perl than PHP is?

	~ Ross