PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at
Sat Mar 18 12:34:49 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 12:12 -0700, garth h wrote:
> > And perl and PHP *really* aren't /that/ different. (Oops, I hope I didn't
> just fan the flames.)
> Is that a joke?  Have you used both languages?

It's probably more a product or not knowing enough languages to do a
wide comparison, and not knowing perl well enough to know just how
different they are. That said, there is a fair amount of similarity
between Perl and PHP. Part of that is because the first version on PHP
was written in Perl. Both language have a large number of builtin
functions in the global namespace. Both are largely imperative. In both
languages, objects were more of an afterthought. The problem is, PHP
ends a few details after that. Dig into Perl and you'll discover two or
three parallel universes. (Without even getting into variables like $@

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at
* ^From:.*sjansen@