OT: Php or perl? JAVA BASHING!

Barry Roberts blr at www.robertsr.us
Sat Mar 18 11:53:35 MST 2006

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 11:28:19AM -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:

> Java was specifically designed to deal with lowest common denominator
> programmers.

In what way specifically?

I've always thought the design of Java was targeted at C/C++
programmers.  When people talk about languages for non-programmers or
bad programmers, I think of VisualBasic, COBOL, VBA, PL/SQL, PHP etc.
Languages that have a pretty specific niche (simple GUI, database,
web), and/or extreme simplifications for their target audience.  I
don't see that in Java.  Java is quite general, and if it was supposed
to be for knotheads, why did they make it so C++-like instead of
something like Python or PL/SQL?

> As a programmer's experience increases, she should become
> exponentially more productive. Java limits that growth to a more
> logarithmic curve.

How exactly does Java do that?

Barry