PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Mar 18 11:28:19 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 10:27 -0700, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Stuart Jansen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 01:46 -0700, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> > And during the evenings, instead of watching TV, repent and learn Ruby.
> > Or Python. Or Perl. But not Java, because while it's a much better
> > designed language than PHP, it's still evil.
>

> If Java is a much better designed language, then why is it evil? That
> statement seems counter intuitive to me.

The shear verbosity of Java is a pain. Instead of doing things the right
way, it encourages people to cut corners. ("throws Exception") Many
people deal with this by using IDEs. So now you have to learn the
language _and_ a monstrously complicated program that's really only good
for one thing.

The community that surrounds a language is also important. For some
reason Java programmers aren't happy producing simple solutions, they
have to build frameworks with the potential to solve every problem
mankind might ever face. An ability to perform an insane number of XML
push ups every day is seen as a virtue instead of the lack of vision it
really represents.

J2EE and Struts should have sent off warning alarms a long time ago.
Only in the last few years has the community realized just how insane
they are, and how desperately they need to be simplified.

Java was specifically designed to deal with lowest common denominator
programmers. As a programmer's experience increases, she should become
exponentially more productive. Java limits that growth to a more
logarithmic curve. But on the up side, it makes it harder for the moron
two cubicles down to completely doom large team projects.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com
* ^From:.*sjansen@