PHP vs Perl (Put on flame proof gear)

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Sat Mar 18 01:46:41 MST 2006

On Sat, March 18, 2006 1:31, Steve said:
> I'm a fairly decent programmer in PHP, but am just re-familiarizing my
> self with Perl, and I would like some thoughts as to which language
> would be better suited to handling an automated subscription system
> like this.

To me it seems you just answered your own question. If you are going to be
the programmer, do it in a language you understand. You are probably
already familiar with the ins and outs of PHP programming. You can more
than likely get a job done quickly using it. In addition, you will
probably end up with a more secure program that fits the needs of your
users if written in the language you are most comfortable. People may
argue that one language is more secure over the other. In this case,
however, it all comes down to you and your ability to write properly
documented, secured, and designed code.

Don't let those dollar signs you are seeing slip away. Use the time to add
new features and security enhancements. Don't waste it trying to
'remember' how to do something in a language you are rusty in.

-Ryan Simpkins