[OT] Re: BYU CS Department Opening

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Mar 17 11:52:26 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 11:01 -0700, Steve wrote:
> I'ld take the job but everytime I get to close to BYU I'm afraid I'll
> burst in to flames ;)

That is a distinct possibility.

Speaking on the subject of "working for the church," I work for BYU and
I consider it simply a job.  I happen to work for some LDS people, but I
don't consider the church to be part of my job.  Nothing irritates me
more than to have people call me "Brother Torrie" at work.  This is just
not appropriate and not professional.  Other irritants include people
who bring up the subject of "sacred tithing funds" when it suits their
agenda while conveniently ignoring that idea (money is money) when that
suits them.  To me, money is money.  I don't care what the source is.
If I have any integrity at all, I'll treat all money that I'm given to
work with with care and concern.  I guess I'm trying to say the idea of
working for BYU should be thought of and treated differently from
working for any other entity is fallacious, at least as far as how you
relate to the job.  The work environment is another issue.

Michael