Shopping Cart Software

Art Pollard pollarda at lextek.com
Thu Mar 16 23:31:19 MST 2006

I'm in need of some shopping cart software for a little (well not
quite so little) project.

I would like to find "the best" solution without spending tons of
$$$.  I don't mind it being hosted by someone else -- though I have
my own server so I'd need a way to link to it somehow.  If I can host
it on our Linux server, that is fine too.

A few of the things I would really like are:

* Easy customization of HTML / colors / custom graphics / etc.
* Good UI for users.
* Affiliates program
* Inventory Control
* Ability to notify multiple people in the advent of order
* Usual billing stuff.
* Ability to have more than one "catalog" -- this way I can have a
second password protected catalog for wholesale orders.
* Strong shipping options.
* I'm not going to have 100's of products so it need not be db driven.
* etc.

I found one called ShopSite that looks very robust but it looks like
it is pretty expensive though apparently, there are some hosted
solutions (isps) that use it.  Does anyone have any recommendations
for shopping cart software?  Any resources to find a good
one?  Advise? Things to stay away from?

Oh, and what is the project?  Well, my "little side project" is that
I will be opening sometime this summer a chocolate factory in Orem --
we will be making a high quality (European style) chocolate all the
way from the cocoa bean.   We will be importing our own beans from
Central America and other locations to turn into chocolate. I've
spent the last year importing vintage chocolate manufacturing
machinery and hopefully, sometime in the next few months, we will be
up and running.  It's quite different than cranking code all day and
gives me a good change in pace.

Thanks,

-Art

--