BYU CS Department Opening

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Mar 15 01:13:52 MST 2006

If anyone is interested, there's an opening in the CS Department for a
System Administrator.  They're officially calling it a "Systems &
Network Architect/Manager," whatever that means.  It's Newsome / Frank
Sorenson's old job (now that he's in Illinois), so if you've talked to
him, you know what it is.

In the CS Department, there are two full-time sys admin positions, and
this is one of them.  The other one is Klark Walker, who's great to work
with.  They supervise half a dozen part-time students.

The department has about a dozen Linux servers, and several hundred each
of Linux and Windows lab machines.  The servers run a variety of
services, such as LDAP, Kerberos, NFS, Samba, Apache, BIND, NTPD, MySQL,
etc.  In my own personal opinion, the most important qualifications are
experience with Linux system administration, ability to learn quickly
and try out new things, troubleshooting skills, and fun personality.

I'm sure the department will list some other requirements, too, but
don't be scared to apply (and please don't let the official job
description scare you off).  From what I hear, the BYU HR people aren't
going to screen any applications before they get to the CS Department
committee.

From www.cs.byu.edu, "To apply, point your browser to yjobs.byu.edu.
Applications are being accepted through March 22, 2006. Note the
position # is 060065 and is titled: Systems & Network
Architect/Manager."

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/