Frames

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Mar 14 08:46:36 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 06:56 -0700, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> > 1, 2, and 5 are not issues with frames themselves, they're issues with
> > the way most people use them.  But just because most people use them
> > that way doesn't mean it's impossible to use them well.
> >
> > 3 and 4 I can see being problems though.
>
> My biggest issue with frames is that each page does not have it's own
> unique URL. Makes histories, bookmarking, URL sharing, and navigating
> a nightmare.

The same can be said of ajax I think.  Although I think ajax is
infinitely cooler (sounds cooler anyway) than frames.

Moderation is the key I think. 90% of the time I think frames are
unnecessary and should be eliminated.  For the rest of the time, when
used properly frames can make the web site more usable.

Michael