Ubuntu flash drive oddity

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 05:31:46 MST 2006

Hey there everyone,
Recently due to a fglrx driver update gone horribly wrong I
reinstalled ubuntu breezy (kubuntu really).  Everything seems to be
well except that my thumbdrive no longer works.
Checking in my fstab my line for it looked like this...
/dev/sda        /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

When I plugged in my thumb drive it says "Could not determine file system type"

So I issued the mount command from the commandline to see what WAS in
fact mounted, and got this.

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-k7/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)

Seems to me it was already mounted, but nope I couldn't access it.
So I changed the fstype to usbfs and I still got the same error.
Then on a lark I decided to change the fstype to vfat.

Woot!  It works!  But umm now I've got this when I issue the mount command.

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-k7/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
/dev/sda on /media/usb0 type usbfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=steve)
/dev/sda on /media/usb0 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=steve)

I've only got one thumb drive, and the only other USB device I've got
attached is my mouse which seems to be working properly.  And here's
the kicker... Prior to the re-install the thumb-drive just worked, I
didn't have to do anything to get it working.

Thoughts?