SVN using Apache2 on Gentoo

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 19:07:32 MST 2006

Hello everyone,
I am trying to setup a remotely accessible SVN repository for a
project I'm working on using Gentoo, Subversion and Apache.

I have followed this tutorial exactly...
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Apache2_with_subversion_SVN_and_DAV

The problem I'm having is that SVN never seems to be getting called no
matter what I do, you can see the results at
http://69.60.117.0/svn/

svnadmin from the commandline is working perfectly as you can clearly see

Here are my build flags for Apache2

[ebuild   R   ] net-www/apache-2.0.55-r1  USE="ssl -apache2 -debug
-doc -ldap -mpm-leader -mpm-peruser -mpm-prefork -mpm-threadpool
-mpm-worker -no-suexec -static-modules -threads" 0 kB

Here are my build flags for subversion

[ebuild   R   ] dev-util/subversion-1.3.0  USE="berkdb nls perl python
zlib -apache2* -bash-completion -emacs -java -minimal -nowebdav -ruby"
0 kB

Here is my /etc/apache2/modules.d/47_mod_dav_svn.conf file

<IfDefine SVN>
        <IfModule !mod_dav_svn.c>
                LoadModule dav_svn_module       modules/mod_dav_svn.so
        </IfModule>
        <Location /svn/repos>
                DAV svn
                SVNParentPath /var/svn/repos
                AuthType Basic
                AuthName "Subversion repository"
                AuthUserFile /var/svn/conf/svnusers
                Require valid-user
        </Location>
        <IfDefine SVN_AUTHZ>
                <IfModule !mod_authz_svn.c>
                        LoadModule authz_svn_module     modules/mod_authz_svn.so
                </IfModule>
        </IfDefine>
</IfDefine>

And there is nothing in my error_log when I do a restart...

sparky repos # /usr/sbin/apache2ctl graceful
sparky repos # tail /var/log/apache2/error_log
[Tue Mar 14 04:50:23 2006] [error] [client 68.6.107.189] script not
found or unable to stat: /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/missing_handler.pl
[Tue Mar 14 04:56:43 2006] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Tue Mar 14 04:56:43 2006] [notice] Digest: generating secret for
digest authentication ...
[Tue Mar 14 04:56:43 2006] [notice] Digest: done
[Tue Mar 14 04:56:43 2006] [notice] Apache configured -- resuming
normal operations

Also my httpd.conf looks fine as well....
# Extra Modules
#
# We Include extra .conf files from /etc/apache2/modules.d
# This is used to load things like PHP and mod_ssl.
#
Include /etc/apache2/modules.d/*.conf

I'm at a complete loss here, I have no idea anymore and I'm at wits
end, I just want to share my code, and this subversion setup has got
me all confused.

FYI the only reason you are able to see the repository is because I
created a symlink in public_html that points directly to the
repository, which seemed like a logical step, since removing that
symlink just causes a 404 error when trying to access the repository
or any project contained in it.

Anyways sorry for the verbosity of this post, but I wanted to detail
as much as I thought would be nessecary, if possible please help me
out here.
Thanks in advance.