Current results of "dictionary word count" programs...

Tyler Strickland tyler at tylers.org
Mon Mar 13 15:41:28 MST 2006

On 03/13/2006 01:06 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:33:48 -0700, "Bryan Sant" <bryan.sant at gmail.com>
> said:
>
>>Python 2.4.2 (bad algorithm?)
>>------
>>LOC: 6
>>Best Time: 31.724
>>Worst Time: 32.417
>>Avg. Time:  31.98
> Ouch.  Yeah, Tyler's python code is pretty screwed up.  (Ab)using list
> comprehensions like that means you materialize the whole data set into
> memory, and using a list for lookup instead of a dict is going to cause
> efficiency problems.  Here's my quick-and-dirty version.

Yeah, yeah... I do admit I was abusing list comprehensions just a little
bit... :)

With my submission, I was looking more at lines of code than effeciency.
  I'm not sure why it wasn't producing accurate output, though...  I'll
have to look into that.

Note: I would never write code like that for anything but a
LOC-minimizing contest.  My real code would have looked more like what
Jonathan wrote.

--Tyler