Current results of "dictionary word count" programs...

Matthew Walker mwalker at forevergreen.org
Mon Mar 13 14:46:17 MST 2006

Here's a pretty quick PHP version. Took me about 5 minutes to throw together.

On Monday 13 March 2006 12:33, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Here are the current results for the "count the dictionary words in a
> file" programs submitted thus far.
>
> All programs were executed on my Ubuntu 5.10 system:
> IBM Thinkpad T43 - Intel Pentium M 2.26GHz
>
> I used /usr/share/dict/words as the dictionary (which contains 96274
> words). I used an uncompressed copy of /usr/share/doc/bash/changelog.gz as
> the input file (which contains 42362 words).
>
> C++ (GCC 4.0.2 with -O2)
> ------
> LOC:  34
> Best Time:  0.804
> Worst Time:  2.087
> Avg. Time:  1.44
>
> Java (Sun 1.5)
> ------
> LOC:  35
> Best Time:  1.247
> Worst Time:  1.622
> Avg. Time:  1.54
>
> Ruby 1.8.3 ("scripted" version)
> ------
> LOC:  18
> Best Time: 1.966
> Worst Time:  3.297
> Avg. Time:  2.35
>
> Python 2.4.2 (bad algorithm?)
> ------
> LOC: 6
> Best Time: 31.724
> Worst Time: 32.417
> Avg. Time:  31.98
>
> I'm still trying to get the lisp version to work (I have a load
> error).  I'd like a good PHP and Perl version as well as a better
> Python version (the python version isn't producing acurate output and
> is WAY slower than is reasonable).
>
> -Bryan

Matthew Walker
ForeverGreen
matt at thebraingarden.com
Work: (801) 655-5500
Home: (801) 491-2079

Random Quote:
You know you're using the computer too much when:
something odd happens on your roommates computers and they come running into
your room to ask you what you did...
	-- ckdake